You are not connected to the UMBC Library network. Access to online content and services may require you to authenticate with your library. Off-Campus Access
Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Named Person:||Carlotta Walls LaNier; Carlotta Walls LaNier|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Carlotta Walls LaNier; Lisa Frazier Page
|Description:||xvi, 284 pages,  pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm|
|Responsibility:||Carlotta Walls LaNier ; with Lisa Frazier Page.|
When 14-year-old Carlotta Walls walked up to Little Rock Central High School on September 25, 1957, she and eight other black students only wanted to make it to class. But the journey of the "Little Rock Nine" would lead the nation on an even longer and much more turbulent path, one that would challenge prevailing attitudes, break down barriers, and forever change America. Descended from a line of proud black landowners and businessmen, Carlotta was raised to believe that education was the key to success. After Brown v. Board of Education, the teenager volunteered to be among the first black students--she was the youngest--to integrate nearby Central High School. But getting through the door was only the first of many trials. This inspiring memoir is not only a testament to the power of one to make a difference but also of the sacrifices made by families and communities that found themselves a part of history.--From publisher description.
Retrieving notes about this item
- School integration -- Arkansas -- Little Rock -- History -- 20th century.
- Central High School (Little Rock, Ark.) -- History.
- LaNier, Carlotta Walls.
- African American students -- Arkansas -- Little Rock -- Biography.
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Arkansas -- Little Rock -- History -- 20th century.
- Central High School (Little Rock, Ark.)
- African American students.
- School integration.
- Arkansas -- Little Rock.
- Central High School Little Rock.
- Little Rock (Ark.) -- Central High School.
User lists with this item (5)
- To read 2(474 items)
by lisadriver updated 2014-04-08
- New Memoirs @ Brookens(34 items)
by ahbinder updated 2011-12-09
- New Books @ Stamford 2010(261 items)
by stamref updated 2011-12-05
- Memoirs(39 items)
by SarahRose updated 2010-11-24
- Most popular additions for September 2009(500 items)
by jamesfitch updated 2009-10-01